SOCCER UPDATESS – Vladimir Dyadyun will compete for a place up front with Salomon Rondon for the hosts, who have no injury concerns to speak of.
Cesar Navas, Ivan Marcano and Roman Sharonov will fight for two places in the centre of defence, while Oleg Kuzmin may replace Gokdeniz Karadeniz on the right-hand side of midfield.
Chelsea face a potential dilemma at left-back, with the injured Ashley Cole’s (hamstring) usual deputy Ryan Bertrand (virus) unfit to travel. Nathan Ake is the club’s only other natural left-back, while Paulo Ferreira could fill in from his preferred right-back position.
Gary Cahill is still a couple of weeks away from returning after undergoing minor arthroscopic surgery to shave the meniscus on the knee he damaged in last month’s win against West Ham.
With Demba Ba cup-tied, Fernando Torres will continue up front, having scored twice in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
David Luiz, Ramires and Juan Mata are likely to be rested after playing three games in less than a week, so John Terry, Frank Lampard and Victor Moses should come into the starting line-up.
DID YOU KNOW ?
- Chelsea have won all five of their previous games against Russian sides, conceding just twice in the process.
- The Blues beat Spartak Moscow 2-0 on their last visit to the Luzhniki Stadium, in the 2010-11 Champions League group stage.
- John Terry will make his 100th European appearance if he plays in Moscow.
- Rubin‘s only previous home game against English opponents resulted in a 1-0 win over Tottenham in last season’s Europa League.
- However, the Russians’ only three defeats in their last 22 European ‘home’ games have come when hosting their matches in Moscow, as opposed to their Tsentralnyi Stadion in Kazan.
- Having already eliminated Europa League winners Atletico Madrid in the round of 32, Rubin could complete an unlikely double of knocking out the holders of both of last season’s European trophies if they overcome Champions League holders Chelsea.
SOCCER UPDATESS – With the exception of goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, Tottenham have a fully-fit squad at their disposal for the Europa League quarter-final first-leg clash with FC Basel at White Hart Lane.
The France international is still recovering from a knee injury he picked up on international duty last week, with Brad Friedel set to continue between the posts for Andre Villas–Boas‘ side.
Both Michael Dawson and Aaron Lennon returned from injury for Saturday’s 2-1 win at Swansea and the duo are expected to start on Thursday, while William Gallas and Jake Livermore should be recalled.
Jermain Defoe has scored four goals in the Europa League this season and is likely to replace Emmanuel Adebayor as Spurs’ lone striker, but Sandro and Younes Kaboul remain long-term absentees.
Basel, meanwhile, have no new injury concerns ahead of their visit to north London, with Marco Streller, Fabian Frei and former Liverpool defender Philipp Degen all expected to line-out for the Swiss side.
DID YOU KNOW ?
- The sides are meeting for the first time in UEFA competition.
- A 4-1 loss at Inter in their round of 16 second leg ended Tottenham’s 10-game unbeaten run in Europe, which stretched back to last season’s Europa League group stage.
- Defenders Kyle Walker and Jan Vertonghen have appeared in all 930 minutes of Tottenham’s Europa League campaign.
- FC Basel are the sole reigning domestic champions still in the draw. They have also played more European matches this term than any other surviving team (16), having begun their continental campaign in the second qualifying round of the Champions League.
- FC Basel have picked up 23 yellow cards and three red cards in this season’s Europa League, the most in the competition.
- Alexander Frei – who will hang up his boots in the summer – has scored the most European club competition goals of any of the players left in the competition: 32 in 59 games.
SOCCER UPDATESS – Rafa Benitez is set to make a number of changes to the side which knocked Manchester United out of the FA Cup on Monday.
Defender Ashley Cole (hamstring) was forced off in the first half of that match and will be out for at least two weeks, so Ryan Bertrand is set to replace him again. Gary Cahill (knee) is a doubt so John Terry is likely to return in defence alongside Luiz.
Fernando Torres should return in attack with Demba Ba cup-tied in the Europa League. The attacking trio of Oscar, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard could be rotated.
Rubin Kazan boss Kurban Berdyev has a full squad to choose from. The Russian is likely to recall Bribas Natkho back to the starting line-up after the Israel international impressed for his nation last week.
DID YOU KNOW ?
- The sides are meeting for the first time in UEFA club competition.
- Chelsea have won all four of their previous games against Russian sides, conceding just one goal.
- The Blues are unbeaten in 11 European games at Stamford Bridge
- Chelsea could become the first side to win Uefa’s two top club competitions in reverse order in successive seasons.
- Making their debut in the quarter-finals of a European tournament, Rubin Kazan are visiting London for a second time, having lost 1-0 at Tottenham in the 2011-12 Europa League group stage.
- Jose Rondon is the second highest scorer left in the competition with five goals since the start of the group stage.
- Rafa Benitez and Andre Villas-Boas are the only coaches left in the competition who have won the trophy previously.
- Rubin have not lost in five European away games this season.
- Rubin winger Gokhan Tore was at Chelsea (2009–11). He helped the club’s reserve team to win the English title, but never made a senior competitive appearance.